Karlsson goes to Penguins in 3-team trade with Sharks, Canadiens

Begonnen von Demek, Dezember 20, 2023, 04:02:42

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Demek

Erik Karlsson was traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins on Sunday in a three-team offer entailing the San Jose Sharks and Montreal Canadiens.  The 33-year-old defenseman had 101 points in 82 video games with the Sharks last season, coming to be the sixth defenseman in NHL background to reach 100 factors in a period, and the very first because Brian Leetch had 102 for the Rangers in 1991-92.  Karlsson has 4 periods staying on an eight-year contract he signed with the Sharks on June 17, 2019; San Jose will certainly maintain $1. 5 countless his wage every year.  "It acquires us the adaptability that we desired however also brings Erik right into the mix right here," Penguins general manager Kyle Dubas said.  "The reason we intended to bring Erik in was, I think, when experiencing our group, among the important things that I really felt in speaking with is that we needed to constantly boost our ability to move the puck from our own area.  Erik, I believe, is one of the elite gamers in that regard in the NHL.  Also though he's in his very early 30s, he remains to be just one of the leading skaters in the NHL.  Certainly, his manufacturing and offense is respected.  Really competitive, very determined person.  Intend to be available in below and help our group. " Karlsson, that won the Norris Trophy as the most effective defenseman in the NHL last season and was a finalist for the Ted Lindsay Award as many useful player voted by the NHL Players' Organization, had a complete no-move stipulation.  "We've been going at it for some time trying to get this done.  It's been a bit of a work," Sharks general supervisor Mike Grier claimed.  "..  Pleased to get it made with Mats Naslund Jersey.  Having the cap versatility and financial versatility was truly essential for us relocating forward. ..  We wish to give thanks to Erik for his payments in San Jose over the last four years and congratulate him on a remarkable and historic 2022-23 period. "Picked by the Ottawa Senators in the initial round of the 2008 NHL Draft, Karlsson has 761 factors in 920 regular-season ready the Senators and Sharks and 53 factors in 67 Stanley Mug Playoff video games.  A five-time Norris finalist and three-time victor, Karlsson is also a five-time NHL First-Team All Star.  Karlsson had actually previously stated he wished to be traded to a Stanley Cup competitor.  Although Pittsburgh was 40-31-11 last period and missed the playoffs, they had certified each of the previous 16 seasons, which was the longest streak in the NHL.  San Jose got forwards Mikael Granlund and Mike Hoffman, defenseman Jan Rutta and a conditional first-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft in the trade.  "While it is always difficult to trade a gamer of the quality of Erik Karlsson, this profession completes a number of objectives for our franchise business," Grier stated.  "It includes 2 forwards to our roster that have actually proven capability to generate offensively at the NHL level, and solidifies our NHL defense corps.  Additionally, acquiring an additional preliminary choice gives us the chance to proceed fortifying our advancement system with premium potential customers and supplies us some monetary versatility to add players as we choose in the future. " Granlund had 42 factors in 79 games with the Penguins and Nashville Predators last season, including 5 points in 21 games after he was obtained by Pittsburgh in a trade on March 1.  The 31-year-old, who has 484 points in 750 regular-season games for the Penguins, Predators and Minnesota Wild, has 2 periods remaining on a four-year agreement he signed with the Killers on July 28, 2021.  "You could see something was up and something was mosting likely to happen.  It's simply part of business," Granlund stated.  "We really did not make anything special happen last period.  Ideally, I can bring something great to San Jose.  "We'll see just how whatever exercises and where I wind up, however with any luck I can give options for the instructors and for the team to be our finest. " Hoffman had 34 factors in 67 video games with Montreal last season.  The 33-year-old has 464 points in 679 regular-season video games for the Canadiens, St.  Louis Blues, Florida Panthers and Senators and is a six-time 20-goal scorer.  He has one season staying on a three-year agreement he authorized with the Canadiens on July 28, 2021.  "I'm really anticipating the possibility to play in San Jose," Hoffman said.  "..  I can bring some infraction and help the power play out, and bring a little veteran leadership as well.  I do not assume I truly played up to what I'm capable of doing.  I actually believe in myself and my game and I believe that I can contribute and have a lot to bring. " Rutta, 33, had 9 factors in 56 games for the Penguins last period and has 70 factors he authorized with the Penguins on July 13, 2022.  "I knew that Pittsburgh truly intended to get Erik.  If you do the mathematics, they really did not have the cap to slot everyone on the group," Rutta said.  "I was just one of the guys that was type of, I guess, much easier to relocate, so I would not state I was surprised that I was traded.  Yet even if you anticipate it a little, when it actually happens, the very first pair of minutes your head is kind of all over the area.  "I called Tomas right after I learnt more about that I was traded.  He lives in Prague as I do, so in some cases we run right into each other Sean Farrell Jersey.  I gave a telephone call right now.  And Radim texted me a pair of hours later.  It behaves to have Czech men on the group, and I'm pretty delighted to see them. " San Jose ended up 29th in the NHL standings last period and has actually not gotten approved for the postseason since 2019.  "My assumption for the group is the same as it's constantly been," Grier said. " Quinn intends to win, Hasso wishes to win, the gamers intend to win Brendan Gallagher Jersey.  So I believe the expectation is that these people come in, they complete hard and they attempt to win hockey video games..  We'll see what happens.  "The men that we have actually brought in here today have actually verified performance history of scoring objectives in the organization.  So I assume they'll have the ability to assist our power play out a little bit and help our 5-on-5game a bit.  And hopefully som e men will have bounceback periods that really did not like their periods in 2014. " Pittsburgh likewise received ahead Rem Pitlick, forward possibility Dillon Hamaliuk and a third-round pick in the 2026 NHL Draft.  Pitlick, 26, had 15 factors in 46 video games with the Canadiens last season and has 54 factors in 123 regular-season video games for the Canadiens and Predators.  He is getting in the final season of a two-year agreement he authorized with the Canadiens on July 16, 2022.  Hamaliuk, 22, was a second-round choice in the 2019 NHL Draft by the Sharks and has yet to make his NHL launching.  Montreal received defenseman Jeff Petry, goalkeeper Casey DeSmith, onward possibility Nathan Legare and a second-round choice in the 2025 NHL Draft, all from Pittsburgh.  Petry had 27 points in 68 video games for the Penguins last period, his very first with the team after being acquired in a trade with the Canadiens on July 16, 2022.  The 35-year-old, that had fun with Montreal from 2014-21, has two periods continuing to be on a four-year contract he signed with the Canadiens on Sept.  25, 2020.  The Penguins will certainly pay 25 percent of the continuing to be wage.  Petry has 353 factors in 864 regular-season ready the Penguins, Canadiens and Oilers.  DeSmith was 15-16-4 with a 3. 17 goals-against average and. 905 save percent playing an NHL career-high 38 video games for Pittsburgh last period.  Authorized as a freelance on July 1, 2017, the 31-year-old is 58-44-15 with a 2. 81 GAA,. 912 save percent and 9 nothings in 134 regular-season games.  He has one season continuing to be on a two-year contract he signed with the Penguins on July 5, 2022.  The Canadiens likewise obtained 22-year-old forward possibility Nathan Legare, who has yet to make his NHL launching and a second-round choice in the 2025 NHL Draft.  Montreal was 31-45-6 last period and missed out on the playoffs for the 2nd straight period since making the Stanley Cup Final in 2021, where they lost in five games to the Tampa Bay Lightning.